Wednesday, December 29, 2010

dear child safety gate

Dear Child Safety Gate,

I need you to know how much I appreciate you. You give to me a precious allowance that I've always taken for granted, my freedom. When I set you up in the doorway and lock you in, I can feel my sanity flooding back with every confident breath I take. On my side of the doorway is a calm and orderly place. On the other side is a world of chaos and anarchy. You are the stronghold between refuge and revolt. I've always felt close to you.

I have to admit, I'm a little shocked that you've lasted this long around here. It doesn’t matter how many times the kids knock you down and climb all over you, you always seem alert and ready for action during my time of need. I also respect your swagger; you rarely go down without a fight. You've bucked my son about a dozen times and pinched my daughter twice (I know you were just doing your job). I sometimes give them snacks just to leave you alone. I've noticed that you also have a soft side. You give my 1 yr old a shoulder to cry on between her plea's for release.

While you are working, I'm able to have my life again. I get the house clean, shower and try to get my lunch in before the kids make me feel like they are prisoners. Sometimes I will push it a little bit longer and check my Facebook. At some point, however, I am forced to take you down, sacrificing my freedom for theirs. Afterwards, it only takes an hour or two before they are crazy again, so up you go, like a super hero in action. Thank you for the freedom to prepare dinner, do laundry, watch Oprah, write letters, and much more. Thank you for being part of our family. I'm sure that when our little ones are all grown up, you will -no doubt- be adopted by one of my sisters. I hope she will be as grateful for your liberating powers as I am.

Appreciatively Yours,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment